22 posts
9 users
8k+ views
ChimneyRidgeTC
September 5, 2012
Member since 08/26/2012 🔗
6 posts
New to DCSki- so hello to all.

I have been skiing at Blue Knob PA a great deal over the past few years but have not explored the entire northeast ridge of the knob and have started to explore it this summer. Started down some great trails but had a very pregnant wife with me and didnt want to descend the steeps, so I need to get back and explore solo:) Here's hoping for some snow because I really want to ski it this winter.

Has anyone ever mapped this or have any info or pictures of good Blue Knob backcountry skiing they are willing to share? I think some cyclists might even be able to help? But there seem to be no maps of resort trails that hook up with the Blue Knob State Park trails, descend the valley. Even the resort suggest finding a local, well here I am - I'm local and looking for someone to show me the trails. I took a few shots this past weekend and even started a backcountry map- cant wait to get back and follow up.

Here's hoping for a great season everyone!!

My early start of a map- http://www.epicski.com/content/type/61/id/99051/

trail from the condo village- http://www.epicski.com/content/type/61/id/99052/

http://www.epicski.com/content/type/61/id/99053/ Wish I knew what this sign used to say. Wasnt able to follow the trail all the way to the right. Gotta get back to that one- anyone know if it hooks up with the lifts if you go down and right at this broken sign?

[img:left]http://www.epicski.com/content/type/61/id/99055/[/img] This one connects down to Stembogan Trail from the Condo Trail.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 5, 2012
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Welcome ChimneyRidge. I guess by off-piste/back country you mean more than just the regular glades within ski area boundary? You talking about the mountainsides above Jack Rabbit and beyond Stembogan or below and right of access road as you approach the lodge from Pavia? I used to cross country ski on the fire road beside the youth camp below the access road and long ago made it to the top of the towers at the fenced-in second BK summit. I know there are trails winding all around those mtns, I don't know of a definitive map. A job for you?? When you talk about the northeast ridge are you talking about the whole mountainside that rises across the drainage behind the base of the triple chair?

I too am a big fan of Blue Knob. First skied there in 1967. If you remember 2010 was a particularly great year for skiing there and this link includes some photos from February 2010 of great action on some of BK's best terrain within ski area boundaries: http://www.epicski.com/t/94144/swift-sil...le-air-force/30
JohnL
September 5, 2012
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Originally Posted By: ChimneyRidgeTC
New to DCSki- so hello to all.

I have been skiing at Blue Knob PA a great deal over the past few years but have not explored the entire northeast ridge of the knob and have started to explore it this summer. Started down some great trails but had a very pregnant wife with me and didnt want to descend the steeps, so I need to get back and explore solo:) Here's hoping for some snow because I really want to ski it this winter.

Has anyone ever mapped this or have any info or pictures of good Blue Knob backcountry skiing they are willing to share? I think some cyclists might even be able to help? But there seem to be no maps of resort trails that hook up with the Blue Knob State Park trails, descend the valley. Even the resort suggest finding a local, well here I am - I'm local and looking for someone to show me the trails. I took a few shots this past weekend and even started a backcountry map- cant wait to get back and follow up.

Here's hoping for a great season everyone!!

My early start of a map- http://www.epicski.com/content/type/61/id/99051/

trail from the condo village- http://www.epicski.com/content/type/61/id/99052/

http://www.epicski.com/content/type/61/id/99053/ Wish I knew what this sign used to say. Wasnt able to follow the trail all the way to the right. Gotta get back to that one- anyone know if it hooks up with the lifts if you go down and right at this broken sign?

[img:left]http://www.epicski.com/content/type/61/id/99055/[/img] This one connects down to Stembogan Trail from the Condo Trail.

Your talking about further out on the ridge than I've ever been. If you're a local, best bet is to hike the trails/woods. Look for the densest canopy sections; the partially logged/cleared sections seem to have tons of Mountain Laurel and/or exposed rocks due to erosion.

Unless you find a sweet route, you'll need a loooot of snow in there. When hiking around, pay attention to how much cover would be needed to make it skiable.
ChimneyRidgeTC
September 5, 2012
6 posts
Thanks! Mainly I am talking about the mountain beyond/below Stembogan (maybe I am wrong to consider that the northeast ridge.) I have done some hiking up above Jack Rabbit but I dont remember seeing as many trails. The Blue Trail- is it the Shelf off of jack rabbit or the condo trail- I have heard both?
I am talking about terrain outside the normal ski area boundry- but I think it is known and allowed just kept quiet. Its Ski at your own risk, but its not 'keep out' and somebody cut and uses the trails, roads and it is not State Park property. Its also easy to get to the bottom of the mountain by car if you wanted to ski all the way down and not climb. (Cmon- climb!)It does need some maintenance, but the 17 Stembogan Connector was seeded so it would be nice for snow, but much of the rest was gravel, not huge rocks. Some of the trails I did not follow were mostly seeded but getting lots of saplings too. Hard to say until I get back.

Ill be sure to get back here and post after I get a chance to walk a few more of the trails. Exciting thought to be able to ski down from the condo village. I THINK there are at least 2 or 3 choices that will still link up with the lifts.

I will say I saw some more skiable lines coming down from the condo village and the golf course then some piste's. The logged Boneyard and Graveyard Glades could still be dropped into but trying to get out would be near-impossible as its full of hickory and maple saplings 2 inches think and 6 inches apart. Shame- they are great skiing. I hope they clean up Forever and Triple Glades brush just a little too.
I agree on the snow-cover issues, the last time I can think any of these trails would have been really well covered is 2010...mmm that was a pretty epic 6 weeks for around here!

Something to think about as I wait for winter!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
JohnL
September 6, 2012
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
The Blue Trail- is it the Shelf off of jack rabbit or the condo trail- I have heard both?

Not sure what you mean by "Shelf off of jack rabbit or the condo trail."

There are two distinct sets of runs that start out from the lodge, go skier's left in the "woods" well past Jack Rabbit, and reconnect ~ at the right hand dogleg at the bottom of Jack Rabbit. One is a real long bushwack out, the other has an entrance off the road that takes you to the condos along Jack Rabbit. The latter is pretty well-known and traveled - especially if you stay in the condos. Is that what you mean by "the condo trail?"
JohnL
September 6, 2012
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Its also easy to get to the bottom of the mountain by car if you wanted to ski all the way down and not climb.

Curious at to the general direction you are talking about. Where is the "bottom of the mountain?"
ChimneyRidgeTC
September 6, 2012
6 posts
Well I certainly dont know the proper name of any of the trails.Just been exploring a bit.

What I mean by the condo trail, is the trail that connects the condo village (which is mid mountain where the golf course is, swimming pool/tennis courts and is on the opposite side of the resort from Jack Rabbit)to Stembogan. It starts in the parking lot in front of the Extrovert condo- some pictures in the link below of the signs on this trail.

The shelf I am refering to is part of Jack Rabbit, its just the elevated level off on the skiers left, but it stays attached to the trail, just a fun feature. It has the crazy log shack off of it. Ill post pictures.
Check the thread I started in Epic Ski that brought me here, it has a couple pics. Epic Ski BlueKnob Backcountry

The Blue Trail seems to be the most well known and it might be the trail you describe off of and back into Jack Rabbit.

Oh what I mean by the bottom of the mountain. The ski trails eventually dish out into a access road (bottom of chair 1 and 2) that runs along to ski gap road. Near the Overland Pass Rd which leads up to the resort on the Claysburg PA side (east) of the knob. If you hang a left out of Overland Pass Rd onto Ski Gap Rd you can acess the dirt rd that comes up to the bottom of chair 1 and 2. At least looking at Google Earth and with what I have seen it seems there are a couple acess roads/trails that cover all of that terrain. All east of Stembogan.

Interesting. Thanks!
Antoine
January 20, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Hate to bring up old treads but. This may be nesasary.  I just returned from a trip to BK and I think I found am new in bounds glade, i dont remeber seeing it there last year. This thing is mean no its cruel. This glade is by  the bowl on east wall. And it's very clean its suspiciously clean. I dont have any pics but its should be easy to find. I dont know but this could be the steepest in bounds train in the east. 

camp
January 21, 2015
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Doubtful the OP is still on our forum.

He mentioned the "Cheetah" trail in this or the EpicSki thread.  I think I've skied that a few times, if it's a double-track, not too steep, with a couple big curves that ends near the end of Ditch Glades.   Only sketchy thing about that trail is the snowmobile noise, and knowing that snowmobilers probably love those forest roads too and could be ripping up that trail while I'm going down.   I haven't scouted far enough out Condo Trail from the bowl to see any of those signs. 

I've looked at the Jack Rabbit shelf from the lift (like everyone else) and haven't explored there.  I'll check my Lost Turkey Trail map to see if that is the Blue Trail that is referenced.

As for one of the OP's original questions, the LHORBA mountain bike club do have a good map of the resort trails.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2015
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I believe ChimneyRidgeTC moved to North Carolina but he did submit a great Unofficial Guide for Epic; http://www.epicski.com/a/blue-knob-pennsylvania-unofficial-guide. I see our JimK, Jamesj on Epic, left a comment there but I must say that the guide was all TC's work. I was responsible for soliciting and posting a lot of the Unofficial Guides there. I must have done some minor editing and the software gave me credit as co-author. 

As for Antoine's discovery, I'm pretty sure I know where it is and what the locals call it and I even mentioned it in a trip report I posted either here or on Epic. It is not marked on the map and therefore technically not in bounds. I will not say anymore as is customary protocol (well it should be) for unmarked glades.

camp
January 22, 2015
660 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

...a great Unofficial Guide for Epic; http://www.epicski.com/a/blue-knob-pennsylvania-unofficial-guide. ...

That is great,

thanks for posting this LHC

crgildart
January 22, 2015 (edited January 22, 2015)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

I remember some unmarked glades a few of us above ventured in to past the bowl  a couple years ago.  "Cleared" isn't the condition I recall them being at that time though.  It was full of 1"-1 1/2" saplings and I think I hooked every single one of those little trees during that hilarious venture.  The snow was deep but I was on my bump skis.  I fell and post holed my whole arm all the way the first time trying to get back up, had to cross the poles LOL.  I didn'r realise the snow was that deep there.  Anyway, we navigated it OK form the most part.  There's a video posted somewhere on Epic.  still makes me laugh thinking about it..

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 22, 2015
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

camp wrote:

...a great Unofficial Guide for Epic; http://www.epicski.com/a/blue-knob-pennsylvania-unofficial-guide. ...

That is great,

I second that.  I love Blue Knob and this brings back many great memories.  The kids have instructions that some of my ashes be scattered on Extrovert.

camp
January 22, 2015
660 posts

Denis wrote:

... The kids have instructions that some of my ashes be scattered on Extrovert.

You'll have to put on some weight to make enough to scatter on Weiss Knob, Mad River, Mammoth, and Tahoe.

Antoine
January 22, 2015
275 posts

What about "The lost glades" boneyard and shaft but I have heard that there was a glade that comes right down to run out right next to the tripple

January 22, 2015
2,038 posts

Antoine wrote:

What about "The lost glades" boneyard and shaft but I have heard that there was a glade that comes right down to run out right next to the tripple

The last time I skied Lower Shortway (year before last) they were still clearly marked. They are overgrown and eroded and that is why they are no longer on the trail map. I last skied Boneyard and Mine Shaft during the 2010 snowmageddon season. If we could have coverage like that every year I could be content with skiing local all season long.

January 22, 2015 (edited January 23, 2015)
2,038 posts

Denis wrote:

camp wrote:

That is great,

I second that.  I love Blue Knob and this brings back many great memories.  The kids have instructions that some of my ashes be scattered on Extrovert.

Thank TC for the great guide. He really did a nice job. Denis, my ashes will be shattered on Laurel Mountain. Also, Kirkwod is a great mountain. I'm sorry I only gave myself one day to ski it when I visited Tahoe for my retirement and my daughter's graduation celebrations. We were staying in South Lake Tahoe and skied Heavenly, a nice place but, I don't know, just a little too tame but to be fair most of the tough stuff was closed and the tree line were pretty icy. I did hit Mott though. That did kick my ass, huge bumps with steep drops to the next trough.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 23, 2015
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I loved the Blue Knob years, then discovered Whitegrass, and was always torn between Whitegrass backcountry and BK.  I wish they were in close proximity.  

Antoine
January 23, 2015
275 posts

Any pics of the two glades? When you say eroded to what extent? 

January 24, 2015
2,038 posts

You'll need about 2 feet of natural base.

Photos by Jim Kenney 2010

Schultz
February 22, 2015
Member since 02/3/2015 🔗
1 posts

I just skied at The Knob today at some of the places previously mentioned in this thread. I compiled a video from my session which can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe-6ErjATD4&list=UUnAEKHEghWeyVeFcKn9KpMw

Hopefully the snow keeps coming!! 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?