Seven Springs - Apology
12 posts
9 users
6k+ views
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
May 31, 2012
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
DC Skiers - my apologies for reporting this information prematurely without verifying the information. I am not sure where my source got this information but I assume they were duped and facinated with this prospect, just as I was when it was told to me. The person indicated it was a done deal.
I thought about not posting the information but I thought that DC Skiers would be excited by such big news. Bad judgement on my part.
To all the great posters on this board and to Seven Springs, I apologize for this error in judgement.
Crush
May 31, 2012
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
actually I hear the Nuttings are buying Canyons.
jimmy
May 31, 2012
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
grin
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
May 31, 2012
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I took your story and ran with it to Epicski.com. Site owners there did what Scott did here and got the same reply, not sold and not for sale. The brief response from readers of both sites was interesting though, was it not?
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
May 31, 2012
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Definitely interesting responses. There were more responses to the purported sale of 7S than there were to the verified sale of Wintergreen to Greenbrier.

confused

Woody
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
May 31, 2012
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I guess it sure beats the normal global warming rants we have during the summer months when we can't talk about our recent ski experiences. Maybe I'll spread another rumor....NOT!
JohnL
May 31, 2012
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

With the ground breaking for the Foggy Goggle Mormon Style soon to follow.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
May 31, 2012
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Originally Posted By: bousquet19
Definitely interesting responses. There were more responses to the purported sale of 7S than there were to the verified sale of Wintergreen to Greenbrier.

confused

Woody

Well I think it has more to do with the alleged suitor than to 7 Springs. If you think about, it doesn't it make sense that a big western resort owner would buy a very large regional destination then funnel that clientele to the western resort? It seems like season passes that offer multiple mountain access have been growing in popularity in the last decade.

Gillette Holdings was the first suitor that came a'calling for Dupre's hand but was turned away when half the family vetoed the sale. Didn't Gillette own Vail at that time?

Back to the idea that it would make good business sense for a somewhat large western resort to buy an established somewhat large eastern resort. Does it make sense? It seems to me it does if the move drives more visitors to the western resort.
Edgar3
June 1, 2012
Member since 05/29/2007 🔗
149 posts
Keeping in mind that real estate is a driving force behind ski resorts, most western resorts are suffering from the speculation in real estate and downturn. There is also a realization that people are more likely to buy 2nd homes within driving distance to where they live. Seven Springs had never seen the level of speculation, and fits well within driving distance for lots of people vs a place like Park City. So yes, can see western ski resort owners looking at places like 7S as more appealing invstments right now.
FreshPow
June 1, 2012
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts
Originally Posted By: Edgar3
So yes, can see western ski resort owners looking at places like 7S as more appealing invstments right now.

Fair assumption, but they can do that by offering season pass holder discounts - something many already do. No millions of dollar acquistion costs required.
Crush
June 3, 2012
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
Quote:

With the ground breaking for the Foggy Goggle Mormon Style soon to follow.

"Yins gotta go to our Temple foist and droppa tithe in deh box for our Stake and then meet ya at the Foggy for a dry Yuengling! MORONI WUZ A STEELER!!!"
djop
June 5, 2012
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
343 posts
Originally Posted By: Crush
"Yins gotta go to our Temple foist and droppa tithe in deh box for our Stake and then meet ya at the Foggy for a dry Yuengling! MORONI WUZ A STEELER!!!"

*dies*

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.