New Shop/ Serious Boot Fitter in Pittsburgh Area
18 posts
7 users
7k+ views
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2010
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Three Rivers Ski is a new ski shop located in Seven Fields near Cranberry Township off of Rt. 228 and I do mean ski shop, no snow boards. Richard Bennett is co-owner and the man to see for performance boots and truly professional boot fitting.

This is the first shop in the area that I've been to that really takes the time to look at your foot, properly measure (including instep angle) your feet and put you in the boot that is right for you. You will get no oversize boot that feels comfy in the shop but leaves you sloppy footed on the slopes. I just spent about 4 hour over two days to get the right fit for me. I've yet to try them but Richard is equipped and appears knowledgeable to make modifications to liner and shell as soon as I get out to provide the feedback needed. I'll post again to follow up on my experience.

Right now Three Rivers Ski carries Lange, Nordica and Dalebello boots and Dynastar and Kastle skis. If you're looking for a deal on Lange RS 130 boots, give them a look. Richard says he wants to move them so a good deal can be had.
b2otto2
December 21, 2010
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
Does he give lifetime free adjustments on the boots like Willies?....
December 22, 2010
2,038 posts
If you bought them, he will fix them until they're right.
comprex
December 22, 2010
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Does he carry tele or XCD gear?
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
December 22, 2010
2,038 posts
Not yet, his focus is on alpine gear. He wants to focus on the performance niche. I tried just about every shop in the area looking for a performance boot and he was the only shop that carried top end boots. No one else that I tried had a boot stiffer than a 100 flex.
jimmy
December 23, 2010
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Why would you want one?
December 23, 2010
2,038 posts
Good question, most average skiers probably don't need a stiffer boot but aggressive skiers, racers of all types and fat guys like me that buy with their egos want a stiffer boot. I've been skiing a boot with a 120 flex for a long time now. Now there is no universal standard for boot flex so a 120 Dalebello maybe softer than a 120 Nordica but the higher the number, the stiffer the boot. My point is that Three Rivers Ski is focusing on the performance end for dedicated skiers, you know the type, live to ski, on the snow as often as possible, bashing bumps, trees, steeps and powder (when we can get it), carving ice (because we have too) etc. So if a 90 flex is what you want or what your skiing dictates then that can be determined and accomplished. If you want a race boot, they are available.

It was so nice to go to a shop that actually measured my feet, fit the right shell size by taking the time to pull out the liner and shell fitting your foot then taking the time to explain how a boot can be made to fit even better instead of the usual, "What size do you want, here try these on and see if they feel good", which is what I get at most shops. I'm usually the one taking out the liners, sizing the shell. In short, the last three set of boots I bought at a shop for my family, all the work was done by me while the sales person stood by presumably clueless or too lazy to do the job. Believe me, no other shop in the area has ever taken that kind of time to properly fit a boot. I'm not saying that they don't do so but that has never been my experience. I left one shop and told the sales person, who had no experience selling boots, where to find basic boot fitting information online. His response was that he'll just let the customer decide on what feels good.
JohnL
December 23, 2010
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
It was so nice to go to a shop that actually measured my feet, fit the right shell size by taking the time to pull out the liner and shell fitting your foot then taking the time to explain how a boot can be made to fit even better instead of the usual, "What size do you want, here try these on and see if they feel good", which is what I get at most shops. I'm usually the one taking out the liners, sizing the shell. In short, the last three set of boots I bought at a shop for my family, all the work was done by me while the sales person stood by presumably clueless or too lazy to do the job. Believe me, no other shop in the area has ever taken that kind of time to properly fit a boot. I'm not saying that they don't do so but that has never been my experience. I left one shop and told the sales person, who had no experience selling boots, where to find basic boot fitting information online. His response was that he'll just let the customer decide on what feels good.

Rob, what kind of piece of [censored] ski shops do you have in your area? You show up at the shop during a Stillers game?

I've never shopped for/bought a boot from a DC area shop that they didn't take out the lining and size your foot to the shell. (Ski Center and way back when, Ski Chalet.)

How much do you weigh? Having skied with you, it didn't strike me that 1) you are heavy, 2) a really stiff boot would be useful for you.
December 23, 2010
2,038 posts
John, again not saying Willis, Ski North and the rest don't do that. I'm just saying that it has not been my experience but I never ask to see their best boot fitter. I just assumed that when you walk into a shop to buy boots the shop would be manned by trained people. My daughter has had good fitting work done at Willis at Seven Springs but the boots weren't bought there. Every shop that I recently shopped for boots, only Three Rivers Ski would take the time to do the basics without a special request for trained personnel.

As for Stillers games, I'm in such a dilemma. Tonight do I watch the Pens kick Caps butt or do I watch the Stillers kick Carolina butt?
gizmosnow
December 23, 2010
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
LHC--- Thanks for the info re: Three Rivers Ski. I live close by but was unaware of this new shop. I've already stopped by twice and bought some things (although not for me), and will definitely be back. Not a big shop but they carry 'top of the line' stuff - - including apparel, accessories, etc. at a fair price (i.e., sales discount). Staff is very informative and friendly - definitely has that 'family business' feel offering personalized attention.
comprex
December 23, 2010
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: jimmy
Why would you want one?

Pick any one or combination of:
tight calves, smaller than high-side-of-average range of motion in ankle joint, significant upper body mass, long legs for body height...
GGNagy
December 23, 2010
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
LHC: I know, right? The one time I want Picture in a Picture fuctionality! The down side is that down here in "foreign territory" I would have to hear BeenDaIdiot and Laughable.

Ski Shop support is better down here simply because by December, the 'Skins and the fans have both given up on Football.

:P :P :P
JohnL
December 23, 2010
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Ski Shop support is better down here simply because by December, the 'Skins and the fans have both given up on Football.

I don't know a single person who is a Skins fan (except for a couple of co-workers, they don't count. I'm forced to be around them.)

And some of us buy ski wear/gear for function, not color. Cough, cough. wink
December 23, 2010
2,038 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL

How much do you weigh? Having skied with you, it didn't strike me that 1) you are heavy, 2) a really stiff boot would be useful for you.

Forgot about this part. I weigh about 210 but I ended up with a Lange RX 120. I can take a bolt out of the back and reduce the flex to about a 110 and I can do that myself. I don't know if a too soft boot can be made stiffer but a stiff boot can be made softer. As I said, I've been skiing a boot with a 120 flex and they work well for me. I had hoped to get to EpicSki's Stowe clinics just to ski with a boot fitter and get some professional feedback but wouldn't you know that I was recalled to work that week.
comprex
December 23, 2010
1,326 posts
What sort of footbed did you get or get made?
December 23, 2010
2,038 posts
Superfeet cork from Inner Boot Works in Stowe.
JohnL
January 2, 2011
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Spent the weekend skiing, drinking beer, drinking wine, enjoying Mrs. Jimmy's cooking, reading some of the buyers guides, and staring down at my boots. Not all at the same time.

Quote:
No one else that I tried had a boot stiffer than a 100 flex.

Even more of a surprise than the lack of proper boot fitting. I can see why you'd be upset with the lack of selection. If I can trust the sticker on my boots, 110-120 is not an unreasonable flex for you.
January 3, 2011
2,038 posts
As I get older and my skiing even more laid back, I wondered if a stiff boot is necessary but I bought the Lange RX 120. I just had some fit adjustment done, grind the bottom of my right footbed to relieve some instep pressure. I'm very pleased with Three River Ski and Richard's work. When BK gets their expert stuff open I'll really find out about fit but so far the new boots feel great.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.