prescription ski goggles
8 posts
7 users
9k+ views
wolverine
October 14, 2007
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
Can anyone recommend a good quality prescription ski goggle? I am far-sighted and can't see anything without my glasses (told I can't wear contacts). I have a mask with an prescription insert that keeps fogging up. Any suggestions appreciated.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 14, 2007
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Usually you can find ads for prescription goggles in the back ad pages in Ski or Skiing magazines. Been tempted, but never tried them.
The Colonel \:\)
tgd
October 14, 2007
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Have you tried OTG goggles? I bought a pair of Scott Storm OTG goggles last year. Wow what a difference. I have no trouble with fogging - and they fit comfortably over my frames. Great buy.

Tom
b2otto2
December 9, 2007
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
The problem with prescription inserts in goggles is, if your like me, i'm blind when I take them off. Like going in to the lodge or the bar, lol. I would recommend a good pair of OTG Goggles. I just purchased a clear pair of Gordini Finish Line II OTG, they have lots of room for glasses. I also have a pair of Carrea Kimerik OTG, the great thing about he Kimerik is the lenses can be exchanged out for either the regular single or double lenes, the only problem is the regular lenes don't provide as much clearance as the OTG lens, but I still had enough room for my glasses with the regular lens in, and if you scratch up the lens you can get another for as litte as $10.00. I bought my Kimerik from http://www.artechski.com.

Brad
curih
February 18, 2008
Member since 02/18/2008 🔗
177 posts
I just started skiing with a prescription insert. It does fog, but so far I've found that as soon as I start moving (even the lift is fast enough) and get a little airflow it clears right up. Maybe your goggles aren't letting enough air circulate.

Two other options you might want to look at that I found before ordering the insert types are Uvex and Panoptics.

Uvex makes goggle where the outer face shield is the prescription lens. This means that their split at the nose to allow two different prescriptions. I skipped them because I thought they were a bit goofy looking. Reminded me of a scuba mask.

Panoptics makes windproof sunglasses that can take prescription lenses. Fairly normal looking wraparound sunglasses with foam to form a seal behind the frame.

Check out http://www.sportrx.com. I had a good experience with them and they carry both types.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I recently purchased my second Smith goggle (over the glasses) with the turbo fan to minimize fogging.
I noticed that Smith sells an insert for these goggles that has capability for prescription lenses. Anybody tried this?
The Colonel \:\)
luv2ski
December 10, 2014
Member since 08/27/2014 🔗
1 posts

I purchased Smith Turbo Fan Series Goggles from SportRx.com and love them. There are various options in this series with great features that help reduce the fog. Check out this blog I found about the Smith Turbo Fan Series: http://www.sportrx.com/blog/smith-turbo-fan-goggles-review/ 

Bumps
January 1, 2015
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

Instructor at smuggs had the smith turbo OTG goggles. He loved them and they seemed to work well in some pretty nasty conditions on a rainy foggy day.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.