Timberline lodging options
25 posts
13 users
6k+ views
fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
September 17, 2020
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

Planning to visit T'line coming season.  Anyone has recommendation on lodging / accomodation options?  Likely it will be me and my ski friend, hotels will do.  

(Last time I visited T'line was the Epic Gathering and the group rented a house.)

JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 18, 2020 (edited September 18, 2020)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

The Canaan Valley State Park Lodge works very well.

September 18, 2020
169 posts

Thank you Jim.  I thought about Canaan but when I searched on Hotels.com for Davis, WV, nothing came up. Closest ones are in Elkins, Petersburg from the website.  Canaan website is not up and running yet.  When T'line was opened, if not staying at slopeside houses, was Canaan Valley Lodge the only option?  It'd be too long of a drive to make a same day trip, I'd prefer to stay overnight somewhere.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 18, 2020
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

I stayed at CV Lodge several years ago in order to ski Snowshoe and Timberline when starting from Massanutten in early Jan.  It was shortly after the complete renovation.  Quite nice for the price.  As I remember the diningroom was still open relatively late.  Food was good.

It had started snowing as we were driving from Snowshoe in the late afternoon.  Keep snowing overnight.  Since I had my old 2WD minivan I made sure to park so that I could start by driving down a slope in the morning.  We got powder turns at Tline. :-)

I'm hoping to make it back to Davis to check out the new Tline lifts and use Indy at CV.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
kwillg6
September 18, 2020
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Timberline has a small version of a hotel comprised of about 20 rooms.  Contact them asap to get a reservation.  They may not be set up to do that yet but worth the chance.  Their small hotel will be about 50 steps to the lifts. 

September 18, 2020
169 posts

kwillg6 wrote:

Timberline has a small version of a hotel comprised of about 20 rooms.  Contact them asap to get a reservation.  They may not be set up to do that yet but worth the chance.  Their small hotel will be about 50 steps to the lifts. 

Thank you!  That's good advice.  I will shoot them an email and also call to find out. 

September 19, 2020
169 posts

I emailed T'line (email from website: info@timberlinemountain.com) last night and already got an email reply before 8 am today.  Guess it saved me a phone call today.  

Thanks so much for reaching out to us in regards to our hotel.  We do have a hotel that is right by our quad lift with 20 rooms.  We are currently still fixing up the hotel and not quite ready for reservations, but we are hoping to start taking reservations by late November.  I will send you an email as soon as we begin booking rooms.  

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Have a great weekend!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 19, 2020
3,245 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

I emailed T'line (email from website: info@timberlinemountain.com) last night and already got an email reply before 8 am today.  Guess it saved me a phone call today.  

Thanks so much for reaching out to us in regards to our hotel.  We do have a hotel that is right by our quad lift with 20 rooms.  We are currently still fixing up the hotel and not quite ready for reservations, but we are hoping to start taking reservations by late November.  I will send you an email as soon as we begin booking rooms.  

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Have a great weekend!

Good to know!

September 21, 2021
169 posts

Received an email from T'line today.  Slope side lodging is available for reservation. Details below (copy paste from email):

Winter is right around the corner and the Timberline Mountain Hotel is now accepting online reservations!

With rooms that sleep 4-8 people, located steps away from the lifts, the Timberline Mountain Hotel is the most convenient ski-in, ski-out property at Timberline Mountain!

Book now for stays beginning 9/23 at timberlinemountain.com/reservations.

Hotel@TimberlineMountain.com

Timberline Mountain 

254 Four Seasons Dr.

Davis WV, 26260

304-403-2074

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 22, 2021
3,245 posts

It looks like a 2-night stay is required for the Timberline Lodge, even midweek.  Starts at about $170 per night.

CV Lodge allows a 1-night stay.  Starts at $139 per night.

crgildart
September 22, 2021
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

marzNC wrote:

It looks like a 2-night stay is required for the Timberline Lodge, even midweek.  Starts at about $170 per night.

If CV would be running running a shuttle to and from the base at TL that would be excellent.  But CV probably wants to try to keep everyone at CV for the skiing as much as possible. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 22, 2021
3,245 posts

crgildart wrote:

marzNC wrote:

If CV would be running running a shuttle to and from the base at TL that would be excellent.  But CV probably wants to try to keep everyone at CV for the skiing as much as possible. 

Since TL is adding parking, I don't see it as much of an issue for a midweek stay.  Of course very different on weekends.

Did you go to TL last season?  Very different than before.  I went back a second time as a day trip from Massanutten because I had so much fun the first time.  Got to use a $15 credit for skiing midweek, plus the $10 credit left from leaving at lunch time the first time.  That paid for my lunch.

mounthoya - DCSki Supporter 
September 23, 2021 (edited September 23, 2021)
Member since 09/20/2021 🔗
25 posts

If you’re interested in a house slopeside, Best of Canaan has some options. I know interest is picking up lately, so you may want to book quickly.  We just listed a large house with them Slopeside at Salamander trail.  Sleeps 16 — Grand Ole Apres.   

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 5, 2021
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

Canaan Village Inn (formally the Village Inn Motel) has done a lot of building and renovations of late. Might be worth checking out.

If you don’t mind the drive, the Billy Motel and Bright Morning Inn in Davis are worth considering.

Prices for condo and house rentals on the mountain have gone up considerably so these off mountain options might be easier on the wallet.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 6, 2021
3,245 posts

johnfmh wrote:

Canaan Village Inn (formally the Village Inn Motel) has done a lot of building and renovations of late. Might be worth checking out.

If you don’t mind the drive, the Billy Motel and Bright Morning Inn in Davis are worth considering.

Prices for condo and house rentals on the mountain have gone up considerably so these off mountain options might be easier on the wallet.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Prices seem to be high in general for lodging close by Timberline and CV.  For the CV Inn, the rates are $175, $200, $235 in January 2022 for 2Q or K depending on midweek, weekend, or holiday nights.  A good sign for the local economy though.

ksampson3
October 6, 2021
Member since 01/9/2012 🔗
80 posts
On a rental related note, I got an email yesterday stating that Landis Realty is no longer in business. I had rented a house through them for Xmas. The email said that Best of Canaan would now be handling rentals. Anyone have any idea what's up with that? 
Rickh
October 7, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
Kim Landis got out of the rental business, staffing issues. Call Donna Patrick at Best of Canaan, they have taken over a large percentage of the Landis rentals.
wgo
October 8, 2021
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Just booked a couple days at Canaan Valley Resort Lodge (Dec 18 - 20th). Hoping that the snowmaking upgrades are complete and that the weather cooperates!
yellowsnow
October 12, 2021
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

mounthoya wrote:

If you’re interested in a house slopeside, Best of Canaan has some options. I know interest is picking up lately, so you may want to book quickly.  We just listed a large house with them Slopeside at Salamander trail.  Sleeps 16 — Grand Ole Apres.   

Not likely to get single night stays at Best of Canaan, especially "slopeside".

Evans Dad - DCSki Supporter 
October 22, 2021
Member since 01/27/2021 🔗
59 posts

I'm a fan of Black Bear Resort.  They have smallish cabins on pedestals and most sleep up to 6.  Full kitchens, wood burning fireplaces, and a lot of character.  Some are better-appointed than others. 

If this season is anything like last, you are going to have to book well in advance.  I typically like to wait for conditions to be pretty well set before booking which usually gives you a week or so (more in an epic snow year).  Last year I had to book some mid-week trips since I couldn't find anything on weekends. 

Other considerations would be cabins at at CV and Blackwater Falls.  Bright Morning Inn (I've been going there for over 15 years); new ownership and newly decorated; great breakfast and dinner too.

crgildart
October 25, 2021
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

marzNC wrote:

crgildart wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Since TL is adding parking, I don't see it as much of an issue for a midweek stay.  Of course very different on weekends.

A shuttle from CV makes it possible to boot up at your room and step out of the shuttle at TL ready to rock.  Driving means having to boot up after you get there, possibly from a far away parking spot.  That defeats the purpose of staying AT the resort.  If I'm going to drive, I'll stay somplece 30 minutes away for half the price instead of someplace 5 minutes away for double..  still having to find a parking spot and boot up there or at the base...

mounthoya - DCSki Supporter 
October 25, 2021
Member since 09/20/2021 🔗
25 posts
I believe TL added parking.  I get the ease of taking a shuttle booted up, but prefer having my own car so I can come and go as I please as opposed to waiting for a bus and cramming my gear with everyone else.  TL should consider having their own "shuttle" from satellite parking to base lodge -- similar to hay rides.  
kwillg6
October 28, 2021
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

That weekend will be the first CVR will be open.  They are going through a total remodel of the rental shop and it'll be a close call for that weekend.  I work ski school there on weekends and opening day is projected to be the 17th.  BTW, they are also doubling the size of the tubing hill with a second conveyor. Expect the skiing toby better as well with new management for skier services.  

wgo
October 28, 2021
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

We will be staying at CVR that weekend, but our plan is to ski at TL (we are TL passholders). I wish CVR the best but we will be waiting a bit later in the season to check them out.

kwillg6 wrote:

That weekend will be the first CVR will be open.  They are going through a total remodel of the rental shop and it'll be a close call for that weekend.  I work ski school there on weekends and opening day is projected to be the 17th.  BTW, they are also doubling the size of the tubing hill with a second conveyor. Expect the skiing toby better as well with new management for skier services.  

dbuker
October 29, 2021
Member since 10/22/2021 🔗
1 posts

crgildart wrote:

marzNC wrote:

crgildart wrote:

marzNC wrote:

A shuttle from CV makes it possible to boot up at your room and step out of the shuttle at TL ready to rock.  Driving means having to boot up after you get there, possibly from a far away parking spot.  That defeats the purpose of staying AT the resort.  If I'm going to drive, I'll stay somplece 30 minutes away for half the price instead of someplace 5 minutes away for double..  still having to find a parking spot and boot up there or at the base...

Are you saying there is a shuttle from CVR hotel to TL?  I noticed a bus at hotel last season, but assumed it was only going to CV.   

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?